Engineering and/or Electrical and
Voigt Chair in Data Science
Professor or Associate Professor
Stellenbosch University is establishing what is currently known as “The Stellenbosch School for Data Science and Computational Thinking”. This is a cross-faculty initiative that aims to coordinate and facilitate research and teaching across a wide spectrum of activities in data sciences, including the collection, categorisation, representation, analysis, use and interpretation of data. The generation of, access to and use of data have exploded over the last decade. Faster and less expensive computers, as well as the internet, have made the gathering, sharing and exploitation of data pervasive in almost all disciplines and sectors, from finance and commerce to health, biosciences, engineering and many others. The collection, handling, storing and analysis (mining) of big data pose new challenges to data scientists and engineers. The Faculty of Engineering is taking the lead in introducing data sciences to a wider cohort of undergraduate and postgraduate students, and in providing leading research for use by industry.
- Coordinating and advancing the knowledge fields of data science, data analysis and big data in the context of the Engineering Faculty through leading research
- Research in the broad field of data science
- Supervising postgraduate students on master’s and doctoral levels
- Teaching undergraduate and postgraduate modules in data science
- Coordinating the Faculty’s activities in data science in the context of the entire University.
- A relevant doctoral degree
- A proven international publication record
- A proven research profile demonstrating significant international recognition
- A proven record of postgraduate student supervision on master’s and doctoral levels
- A proven record of quality undergraduate and postgraduate teaching
- Proven cooperation with the industry
- A proven record of fundraising to sustain and advance a research group
- Good communication and teaching skills
- Experience in the management of staff and finances
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership qualities.
- Industry experience
- An NRF rating
- An international network in the field.
Commencement of duties: 1 July 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter
Closing date: 9 May 2018
Enquiries regarding this post: Prof. Wikus van Niekerk on 021 808 4204, or on email@example.com
Enquiries regarding remuneration/benefits as well as technical assistance with the
electronic application process: Human Resources Client Services Centre on 021 808 2753
The University will consider all applications in terms of its Employment Equity Plan, which acknowledges the need to diversify the demographic composition of the staff corps, especially with regard to the appointment of suitable candidates from the designated groups.
The University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the name and e-mail address of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
Apply online at www.sun.ac.za/english/careers
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on
Should no feedback be received from the University within six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.